On Tuesday 25th August 2020, one of Shankill Tennis Club’s most successful players left Irish shores for the United States to start the next chapter of her promising tennis career.
Shankill Tennis Club would like to wish Ellie Murphy the very best of luck as she starts a four-year scholarship in Iowa State University, which is a Division 1 college and where she’ll compete in Big 12 Championships.
Ellie started playing tennis in Shankill aged 6 and her most notable titles are as follows:
- 2016 U16s Fitzwilliam singles champion. Under 16s and under 18s singles Shankill Junior open titles.
- 2017 Templeogue and Lansdowne under 18s singles champion. Under 16s and under 18s singles Shankill Junior open titles.
- 2017 Templeogue and Lansdowne under 18s singles champion.
- 2018 Crowned Ladies Champion in Bray Senior Open & retained under 18’s Templeogue singles title.
- 2019 Ellie was runner up in the Ladies Championship final in Bray Senior open.
- 2018 Ellie was selected to represent Leinster at the Junior Inter-Provincial Championship. Ellie played at No. 1 singles and successfully won all her matches.
Ellie was presented with a contribution towards the next phase of her career awarded from Shankill Tennis Club’s Junior Bursary by Executive Vice-Chair Veronica Casey and Junior Coordinator Cathy Slattery. Also pictured is Ellie’s Coach Derek Healy and her mother Aideen Murphy.
Again, everyone at Shankill Tennis Club would like to wish her a very successful future career and we look forward to celebrating many achievements.